home about me casting tuition faults and cures fishing courses angling holidays accommodation links contact us
Frequently Asked Questions
Your chance to get some answers before you arrive
  • Q: What clothing will I need to bring with me?
  • A: General fishing clothes and breathable waders throughout the Salmon & Trout season and a waterproof coat (a wading jacket would be best if you have one) and a hat. If it is winter Grayling fishing you are coming to do, then neoprene waders would be best, but if you do not have them you can put some thermal underwear under your breathable waders (layering is best). A peaked hat would be best for the summer to keep the sun out of your eyes and a woolly hat in the winter to keep warm.
  • Q: What equipment will I need to bring with me?
  • A: This is dependant on what type of fishing you would like to do. Here are some options:
    • Salmon = This can be a personal choice, but either a 13ft rod for an 8/9wt line, a 14ft rod for a 9/10wt line or a 15ft rod for a 10/11wt line (with an appropriate reel) will all cover most situations, although where slightly deeper wading is required a 14ft or 15ft rod will give you a slight advantage. A selection of Salmon flies, some polyleaders (a selection of sink rates) and some leader material from 10lb -15lb for different scenarios. Sink tip lines can also be useful.
    • Sea Trout = A 9ft 6in rod for a 7/8 floating line with an appropriate reel will suffice, although if you only have 10ft rods then that will do fine. A weight forward line can be an advantage where distance is required, (and for Spey casting) and again a variety of polyleaders can be useful, although intermediate and medium sink lines can work well at certain times throughout the day or night. A selection of Sea trout flies and some leader material 8lb -10lb.
    • Brown Trout = A 9ft rod and appropriate reel for a 5/6wt floating line will cover most situations on the river Eden for dry fly, wet fly and nymphs, you can bring poly leaders if you wish, but most of the time they are not required. Your preferred leader material, or tapered leaders if you would rather buy them, and tippet material, although I will have some with me. It is always handy to have floatant for your dry flies and sinkant for your leader material when required. I will also have this with me. If dry fly fishing only you may want to bring a lighter outfit with you for some good fun.
    • Grayling = Tactics for Grayling can be very similar to trout fishing and all of the above tackle will Suffice, but where fish are not surface feeding, which is often the case with winter Grayling, then Czech Nymphing or High Sticking (slightly different technique) can be adopted, and although you can do this with the tackle shown above, a longer rod can often be an advantage. Finally a selection of flies for both Brown trout/Grayling.
  • Q: Do I need to bring sunglasses and sun cream?
  • A: Eye protection is essential, especially when fly fishing, as a freak gust of wind or a stray cast can project the fly straight into your face, causing irreparable damage. A pair of sunglasses with polarised lenses will diffuse the glare of the sun, allow you to see into the water, and protect your eyes from the fly, which can all be distinct advantages. A pair of glasses with clear lenses can also be used on very dull days, or in the hours of darkness when fishing for Sea trout. Sun cream can be a welcome addition to your armoury and although we don't get bothered a great deal by midges, they do creep up on us from time to time so midge repellent is definitely worth considering.
  • Q: Do I need an Environment Agency Rod Licence?
  • A: The Border Game Angling holiday packages will include the cost of your rod licence in with the price and it will be purchased for you prior to your arrival (unless you already have one, or prefer to purchase your own). Anyone purchasing the tuition and fishing options which range from 2 hours to a full day, and are not already in possession of a rod licence will be required to purchase one for the relevant species, and will be informed of this prior to their arrival. Rod Licences are required by Law in England and Wales and can be purchased from most Post Offices, or online via the following link: https://www.gov.uk/fishing-licences.
  • Q: Can I spin for Salmon during my trip?
  • A: Yes most beats do allow spinning, although it is usually best on a high water that is dropping and clearing following a spate at which time it can be very productive. If spinning is a requirement, then single barbless hooks are preferred for conservation purposes.
  • Q: Should I bring spare equipment?
  • A: You can bring spare equipment with you if you want, but I will have equipment for you to use should the unthinkable happen and you need to replace something.
  • Q: What if I want to book a fishing holiday, but don't have any equipment?
  • A: This is not a problem as equipment can be supplied e.g. rods reels lines flies etc. at a small additional charge. The only things that are not supplied are waders, but these can be purchased reasonably cheaply by you prior to your arrival.

I hope this has answered some of your questions, but if you have any further queries then simply drop me an email and I will be happy to help with your concerns: Contact Border Game Angling


< Back

home | about me | casting tuition | faults & cures | courses | angling holidays | accommodation | Links | Contact Us | Site Map